Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Spring!


Today a crocus winked at me, a forsythia waved at me, and a crowd of pansies nodded an acknowledgment as I walked by. It's spring! Well, at least Spring has poked her head around the corner to let Winter know she's on her way.

The day was warm and breezy and gentle showers fell this evening. I opened the windows upstairs, drove with the car windows unrolled, and had a craving to clean and declutter.

We all went out for dinner at Platos (even David). We talked and laughed with a new lightness and energy. When we got home, I said, "Who wants to go on a walk!?" "Hah", said David. "I do, but I have too much homework", said Kate. "It's 9 o'clock", said Darryl. "Okay", I said as I practically bounced out the door.

Ah, glorious spring air. I could not understand why every single person in the neighborhood was not outside basking in the wonder of the gentle weather. I could not stop filling up my lungs with the fresh air, tinged with that new-life smell that's impossible to describe (but everyone knows what it is).

I walked until Spring's rains gently soaked my face in dewy kisses. I did not want to go inside. The caressing breeze, the smell of spring, the gentle sound of wind chimes ringing from neighbors porches.

It may turn blustery tomorrow and we still have some cold days ahead, but today Spring made herself known and put Winter on notice! I simply could not bear to live in a place bereft of the change of seasons. Though February's long days can drain me within an inch of sanity, I soon forget the misery the instant Spring brings her bouquet of renewal, warmth and new life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness you described that perfectly. That is EXACTLY how I feel!!!

Joni said...

DITTO to what Angie said. You can say so well in words what we feel in our souls, our hearts, and our minds. You are a great writer!