Thursday, May 7, 2009

To All the Second Mothers

As Mother's Day approaches, I want to say thank you to all "second mothers" -- those amazing women who help us raise our children. The women who are there to comfort, guide, direct and discipline when we are not. What would we ever do without them?

This is something I wrote for Ellen McGraw many years ago. Ellen was a second mother to Kate when she was very small. Her home was a safe harbor, a place of love, a treasure chest of joy.

To Ellen and all other Second Mothers – Happy Mother’s Day and thanks from the bottom of my heart!

Second Mother

You wipe the tears and give
the hugs.
You feed the body and
the spirit.
You hear the laughter
and the cries.
You see the potential and
cherish the child.

A second mother,
a treasured link
in the eternal circle
of Kate's life.

Love knows no boundaries
or genetics or biology.
Who says a child needs
only one mother!
Ah, you have been
Second Mother to many.

And you are loved and cherished,
valued and prayed for,
counted on and cared for
by many, many
Second Children.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Beautiful. You are a second mother to many, as you know.

Joni said...

I love it! You could publish your poetry you know. Happy Mother's Day to you, Sister. You are a wonderful mother and have raised two children who know how to love because they are so loved. Smooches!

Denise said...

I read that it the SS Stake book. I loved it because it is beautifully written and she was my second mother too.

hdknowles said...

I cut and pasted this and sent it to Bennette since Ellen doesn't use a computer. I know she'll get a kick out of this. When are you going to be published? Happy Mother's Day, Donna. You deserve a great day.

wanda.blck said...

How nice to have those poems written for all of us to see at this Mother's Day time of year.
You have hundreds of poems that you've written over the years. I love to read them. They touch my soul. You haven't shown me any the past two or three years yet I know you write. When will you share again? Mom