Monday, February 23, 2009

Getting Ready

In less than two weeks, Darryl, my parents, Joni & Kevin, and Jeanne & Max, and I will be heading to Israel for 18 days! Holy cow! I've known about this trip for about six months, but it always seemed so far away. Now, it is just around the corner and I am hoping I can be ready.

I feel like I'm preparing for a long, around-the-world voyage instead of an 11 hour flight across the Atlantic. Besides packing for a variety of activities and climes, just figuring out all the logistics of leaving two teenagers, a cat, a house and my job for almost three weeks has been daunting.

I keep checking the list of things the travel agent tells us to bring: 9 volt batteries, sewing kit, gloves and scarves, scriptures and reading material, $100 in small bills, $400 in large bills for tips and VISAs, copies of passports and credit cards, swimming suit and water shoes, long underwear and sunscreen -- duct tape wrapped around a pencil. Really? Doesn't this sound like a crazy list considering we are only allowed once suitcase that weighs less than 50 pounds? How can we pack for temperatures that will vary from 30 to 80 degrees? What if I didn't get the right converter or (gasp!) don't make a good choice on my reading material? And which binoculars do we bring? Which camera? Do I go for quality or portability? The chances of rain are pretty small but do I want to risk getting caught in a storm unprepared or taking up extra space for a poncho that I may never need? Will there really be laundromats in Jerusalem that will happily do our laundry for us one day?

And, on the homefront: Yikes! I am leaving two (wonderful) teenagers for almost three weeks. Of course, I'll stock up on groceries and leave some money, but what have I not thought of? It's not like they can just give me a call and I can be home in a couple of hours. These are kids that may or may not know how to handle an over flowing toilet, a clogged drain, leaking gutters. More likely, they will not empty the trash cans before the reek to high heaven, will not bring in the mail and the recycling bins, won't clean out the litter box.

So, this is another opportunity for growth. I have had nearly two decades to teach these young people to be independent and self reliant. I have done an inadequate job. It is so much easier to do it myself than to take the time to teach them new skills. What a mistake. It seems like they were four years old a week ago and that I had all the time in the world to work with them. Now they are nearly adults.

It's time to trust them and to turn it over to God. After all, they ARE His children, and I'm sure he'll keep an eye on them so I can enjoy my once in a lifetime adventure to Israel. Keep your fingers crossed and good energy flowing our way!

3 comments:

Denise said...

I'm sure you'll have lots of snoops around checking in on them. Plus, no matter how great a parent you are it usually takes having an experience yourself to figure out how to fix it. They will do great.

Have an amazing trip. I can't wait to read all about it.

Cindy said...

The kids will be fine and you will have a great time. Be sure to post some pictures and keep us in the loop. What a fantastic experience.

Corinne said...

Holy cow. I am assuming you have gone and returned and now you MUST be posting about your trip! I'm hoping everything went fine at home :)