Monday, November 10, 2008

Ahhhh....tumn!!
















This is absolutely, positively, unequivocably my favorite time of the year!! I am struck speechless by the dazzlingly colored leaves. I can't get enough breaths of the crisp, chill-laced air. I can't stop looking at the brillant blue sky. I love all the bright red, yellow and green apples piled high. I want to buy every single pumpkin and gnarled squash and gourd I see. I want to skip down every leaf covered sidewalk and kick up leaves into mini leaf swirls.

Anyone who knows me at all knows that I am rock freak. I love rocks. I love to look for them, pick them up, hunt them on the cliffs and hills of Utah, along the streams of Maryland, and in the fields of Pennsylvania. Well, I have a secret: I am a leaf freak, too!! I brake for pretty leaves. I will go right up to someone's house and knock on the door and ask if I can take some leaves off their trees or grass. I will go on leaf-hunting walks (paper bag in tow) just to find the perfect leaf. And I will arrange them and feel them and look at them and wallow in the wonderfulness of their amazing colors.

I have two new leaf collections right now. One is my "Waldon Pond" collection -- acquired last month when we went on our "Autumn Road Trip" to New England. The other is my "Election Leaves" collection, which consists of gorgeous leaves I picked up after walking to the elementary school to vote. A gentle rain had just stopped and the sun was at that oh-so-perfect afternoon place where everything looks cleaner, brighter, more vibrant. I didn't ever want to go back into the house. I just wanted to walk and breathe and collect and bask in the wonderfulness of the moment.

From my office window, I can look out over miles of trees -- clear into D.C. At this time of the year, the National Cathedral is surrounded by a sea of yellow-orange trees. I practically have to pinch myself to believe that I am blessed by such a site.

And so, I will love every single moment left during this glorious time of the year....and I'll have my secret leaf collection to steal glances of when Winter finally has her way and spreads her wintery arms across the land.

5 comments:

Shaharac said...

Beautifully, and eloquently written! Heidi collected leaves, I have a maple leave she framed hanging on my bedroom wall. The rocks - what a cool thing I didn't know about you! I have some awesome rocks I've collected over the years, I try to bring a rock home from places I travel too.
It is a gorgeous season, and it passes too quickly, we have snow in the air, I smell it - just like Laurelie Gilmore!

Angie said...

I am envious of your autumns! Tucson definitely lacks in that department. Oklahoma is holding its own though, so I'm loving it here right now! Your pictures are beautiful even though I know they probably don't do justice for what they look like in REAL life!

Joni said...

I'm so happy that you blogged! I absolutely love your writings. You are a marvelous writer you know. I think you could make it a career. I love the autumn, too. It is my favorite season. I raked piles and piles of leaves today and just basked in the yummy "autumn" scent. For some reason the autumn scent reminds me of the autums living in Salt Lake. Jumping and playing in the leaves were great entertainment for us, wasn't it?

michelle said...

What beautiful colors! I absolutely love everything fall has to offer. Wonderful weather, brilliant colors, and yummy food! I sure do miss my Maryland family! You guys should take another trip to Utah soon =)

Denise said...

I found your link on Natalie's blog. I loved reading your entry. I, too, love the leaves and their colors. You made me long for UP with your election leaves!