Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

In honor of Thanksgiving, I've listed 99 things I'm grateful for. I hope I never take them for granted:

Colorful autumn leaves
An unexpected snowfall
Fountain Diet Coke
Someone writing on my Facebook wall
A Sunday nap on a sunny couch
Hot drinks on cold days
Cold drinks on hot days
Finding the perfect rock
A belly laugh
Photo albums
Gatherings with loved ones
A hot bath
A massage
A good book – anywhere, anytime
Primary presidency meetings (really!)
D.C. in the spring
Having all my family home safe and sound at night
Google (what did we ever do without it?)
Hydrangeas in Takoma Park
A fully tummy
A crackling fire
Music, music, music
The National Portrait Gallery
Being a U.S. citizen
Having confident kids who know they’re loved
A phone call from a friend
Butterballs
Spotting crocuses on a warm February day
A warm, comfy bed
Road trips!
Cousins
Playing cards with Mom, Dad and Darryl
Shopping and lunch with Kate
Seeing “my” egret on her pond on the subway ride home from work
Parents who are storytellers extrodinaire!
The smell of rain on red rocks and sagebrush
Lakes, streams, rivers, ponds
The sound of Kate with her friends
Eating breakfast for dinner
Adventures to New York City
Access to doctors and medical facilities
Libraries!
Down from the Mountain album
People with a sense of humor
A good stretch
Darryl’s belly laugh
A colorful family history
Primary songs and hymns
The view out my office window
Puffy clouds
Blue, blue skies
Soaking my feet in hot water in the bathroom sink
Hiking
A clean house
Having the missionaries over for dinner
Babies
Book club
Celebrations
A pantry full of food
People who share because they want to
Compassion and gentleness
Candles
Bear hugs
Smiles
Good families and vigilant parents
A fiercely orange sunset
Growing up surrounded by cousins, aunts and uncles
Mom’s chili sauce
Wildflowers
Walking through University Park in May when everything is blooming
Fireflies
Selflessness
Bright colors
Forgiveness
David’s calm and even tempered nature
Poetry
Keeping a secret
Alone time
Bread pudding with caramel sauce
Just-picked fruit, tomatoes or corn
The farmer’s market
NPR
Second chances (or third or fourth)
Scriptures
Primary kids – wiggles and all
Spontaneity
Magic
Acceptance
Open mindedness
Compassion
The long days of summer
Friends who me and still love me!
Reading books with kids
Playing
People who look me in the eye
Stupid/funny movies
A heavy rain with lots of thunder (as long as I’m inside)
Getting out the Christmas decorations
Mom’s oatmeal raisin cookes

4 comments:

Shaharac said...

These are great, my fav is smelling rain on red rocks and sage brush - I can almost smell it.

Denise said...

Thanks, Donna. I'm going to do this sometime today. I'm having a hard time being thankful since we are so far away. This will help me get things in perspective.

Joni said...

I so love your creativeness. You inspire me. I should try it.

Jana said...

Why am I the last person to have your blog address? I saw your comment on Denise's blog, was intrigued by your picture, which is hilarious and then saw you had a blog. What gives? I'm adding you to the list of my peeps right now.