Thursday, April 30, 2009

Jerusalem, Thou Art So Far Away!


Oh, Jerusalem, thou art so far away! I've been home for over a month now but never wrote about our delightful adventures together! Time and distance have slipped in between us, and I don't think I can do your splendor justice. The sights and smells and sounds that were nestled snugly in my mind have been nudged out by worries of college choices, a court case, new church responsibilities and swine flu.

When I first got back from your Holy Land, I'd dream about you almost every night. It was like extending that magical trip, but now I can't dream about you no matter how many pictures I look at or how hard I shut my eyes and concentrate on your sacred places.

In the words of one of your favored sons:
"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning. If I do not remember thee, let my tongue cleave to the roof of my mouth; if I prefer not Jerusalem above my chief joy."

2 comments:

Denise said...

You are such a beautiful writer. I was going through some things for a talk a while back and I came across a poem that you wrote for Kate. It took me a while to compose myself after reading it...

hdknowles said...

Is this the beginning of a future book? You really capture something in your brief post. You have lots of material for future blog posts without having to wrack your brain for new ideas.