Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Staying in Touch




With all the technology -- cell phones, email, Facebook, My Space -- why is it so darn hard to stay in touch with those we love the most? Drives me crazy. It takes seconds to connect, and yet so often I don't. Each time I call my sister, Joni, we can talk non stop for a good hour. It feels so good. I laugh, I jabber away, I listen, and I feel so reconnected and close again. I vow never to let so much time slip away again. And yet a month later, we're doing the same thing. Crazy, isn't it?

We miss so much of the little things (and sometimes the BIG things) that are a part of our lives. For instance, today I got to learn about this crazy, insane dessert Joni was making that required eight boxes of pudding, insanely shaped cookies with gum drops, and cupcakes. Took her hours to make. Is it critical information? Is it really that important? Maybe not. But it reminded me of the wonderfulness of my sister. How she dedicates her life to her family, how she daily renders unselfish service, how she courageously makes outrageously crazy desserts for a bunch of teenage girls -- all with a great attitude and a smile.

I am again missing her. And missing the great times we have when we are together -- hours of non stop talking, gut splinting laughter, endless eating and shopping, recalling our growing up year, comparing our goofy (and lovable) husbands and our kids who can drive us nuts. We talk about our challenges and new found wisdom and sense of serenity, and the faith that God is taking care of us and those we love the most.

I get the same feelings of joy and connectedness when I call my Merri and Donna, and I wonder how I could possibly stand not connecting for so long.

Loved ones -- you are always in my thoughts and prayers, but I am going to try harder to connect to you voice-to-voice more often. You enrich my life, you make me feel loved and important, you help me gain my perspective, and you make me laugh. You are good medicine!

3 comments:

Joni said...

Ahhh....Ditto! My sentiments exactly! Thanks for the compliments! Can't wait for our trip to Israel!

Debra Durfey said...

Wow Donna....you said it all! You are SO loved and I couldn't agree more about your amazing sister, Joni! I love and adore you!

Unknown said...

Donna you're so sweet! That was fun to read about my mom!