Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'm a Big Purple Bird!




I have a mental list of things I'd never do -- you know, things that would be too embarrassing, risky, tacky, pushing the comfort zone. I have a LONG list. So, how is it that I agreed to don the costume of a big purple bird with a gigantic beak, huge yellow feet, and big frilly tail? How is it that I not only walked among the crowd of 4,000 people in this awkward, uncomfortable contraption but shook hands, waved, did the high five and the fist bump, gave out countless hugs to excited children, and shook my bootie? Who knows! Perhaps watching "Yes Man" a week prior to the event had some influence. Maybe it was just enough to make me tip toe out of my comfort zone. Who am I kidding? It was not a timid tip toe out of my comfort zone -- it was a gigantic leap out of the zone. But I did it!

Here's what I learned: kids are enthusiastic, open, inquisitive; boys like to high five, punch and pull tails; girls like to hug; and parents love to snap photos of their kids with any random character. More importantly: if you're gonna wear a huge bird costume with a clunky, heavy head and gigantic feet, you must absolutely have ready access to lots of water, Tylenol, and heat wraps to deal with the accompanying excruciating headaches, sore neck and back muscles and shin splints.

Am I glad I did it? You bet! I've never been so darn popular. I had people waiting in line to shake my hand or hug me. I had hoards of kids running up to hug me saying, "Digit, I love you!" I had my photo taken a hundred times.

It felt so good that the next night at one of the many receptions/parties I went to, I donned a bright red cowboy hat that had a flashing blue star on it. It was sooo tacky! Gosh, who knows what I'll do next! So, my recommendation to all of you: Just Say "YES"!

3 comments:

Denise said...

Ok, I have NO idea who this character is, but I am VERY impressed.

Joni said...

Oh my goodness, that just cracks me up!!! GOod for you!!! I need to say "yes" more. Sounds like you had fun and it sounds like it gave you a real boost in spite of the headache and neckache.

wanda.blck said...

SUPER WOMAN THAT'S YOU...MORE THAN A PURPLE BIRD....MORE THAN A CREATIVE GENUIS...AND (KICK kATE IN THE BUTT) ONE OF THE BEST MOMS I'VE SEEN. LOVE YA DOTTER, MOM