Friday, September 11, 2009

A Full Nest; a Bursting Heart


Just for today, my nest is full. And it feels good. Well, honestly, I've hardly had any time to pay attention to my nest. I've barely seen my nest, in fact. I have been busy helping other people with their nests and am enjoying a flurry of meetings, outings, errands, quick phone calls, hurried hugs, texts and emails, belly laughter, and a few tears. I am saying "yes" to life. At least for today.

What I've learned: our life is exactly what we create. We choose. We can have just as much happiness as we're willing to embrace. We can chose to isolate and feel sorry for ourselves, or we can reach out and find fellow souls who yearn for connection, friendship, good works. I am blessed beyond belief with the people who have wandered, stumbled (literally), swooshed, or barged into my life. I have learned from them all and have loved nearly all of them. I have seen myself and others with kinder eyes.

I've been doubly blessed by the little people who are part of my life for two hours every Sunday. There's nothing like the enthusiasm, raw energy and curiosity of children. They are amazing teachers.

I am blown away by the strength of my family, with my parents forming a rock solid foundation of faith, gratitude, and unconditional love. My sisters sandwich me in love and good humor. My children keep me on my toes (and on my knees). And Darryl. What can I say? He is the glue that holds me together. Sprinkle all that with the amazing wonderfulness of my nieces, nephews, and bros-in-law, and you have a big, squishy cocoon of security and solace.

So, I am on a pink cloud. Just for today. I never would have imagined writing this a week ago. Indeed, I was in a dark place that I didn't think I could crawl out of. But it is amazing what prayer, exercising faith (I say "exercise" because it doesn't come naturally for me), and asking for help can do. My heart is bursting with gratitude. Just for today.

6 comments:

HARA said...

A day at a time, that's all you can do sometimes. I needed this today. I've been feeling so pathetic about myself. I'll pick myself up like you did. Love you.

Denise said...

I've been thinking about you lately. How are things without little Kate around? I'll bet that is a hard transition. If you ever get bored, you should come up and explore Mi. We would love to have you. We do hope to be home at Christmastime. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It makes me feel good that people read and enjoy it, since my own husband doesn't :) I hope you keep this positive outlook because you are just one of the most amazing women I know and don't deserve to spend a moment in a "dark place".

Angie said...

You're always that positive ray of sunshine in our family. I can't imagine it any other way. Loved the thoughts you shared. Love YOU!

Joni said...

You inspire me! I hope that pink cloud stays around for a long time.
Loveyou!

Alison said...

I love the imagery of "a big, squishy cocoon of security and solace." Hopefully I get to be a little bitty piece of your cocoon :)

Anonymous said...

UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT-UT