Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cookies, Anyone?







A cookie-lover's dream -- Emily, Pam and Leah's annual cookie exchange! Each person (and there were over 20) brings six dozen of her favorite cookies and after a wonderful lunch, we each get a tin, line up, and start taking cookies from each pile. Oh, there were delicious cookies! Lots of chocolate ones this year, along with hazelnut filled chocolate cookies, peanut butter bars, molasses crinkles, white chocolate pumpkin, Linzers, and snickerdoodles! I was too full from lunch to try any of the cookies.

Today I fasted and once I got home from church and Kate's concert, I was starving! I dashed to the kitchen to sink my teeth into an assortment of delicious cookies, but what to my disheartened eyes did appear but three tupperware dishes filled with bits and pieces of what used to be cookies! My cookies were clearly violated!!

Now, I'm guilty of biting into chocolates to see what's inside, but really? Taking a bite out of a cookie? Can't you sort of get the hang of it by just looking at it? Can't you see that it has nuts in it? Can't you tell it's made of chocolate? That it looks like a gingersnap?

Well, disheartened and disappointed -- but not totally discouraged -- I grabbed the tupperware filled with cookie pieces and a Diet Coke and sprawled on the couch and ate bits of 2o different kinds of cookies.

7 comments:

Denise said...

Those pictures made me wish I were there, although I always hated having all of those cookies in my home AND in my parents home. I have to say, I am one of those tasters. If I didn't like it I wasn't going to waste my calories on the whole thing. I can't believe how quickly yours got eaten, though. Wow!

Shaharac said...

That's the right spirit! That is also sounds like something that happens at my house only my kiddos are much younger sweetie, does that mean they never really grow up? HEaven help me now!

emilee jane said...

Oh my goodness! I guess you'll need to hide your cookies next year. I have to admit I did some tasting that night. But I broke a piece off instead of biting it! I really wish we could do some tasting at the actual party(accept there are those that I really don't like!). I liked your cookies a lot and the Linzer cookies were my favorite.

Corinne said...

Man, I want to see and talk to every one of those people! I miss you guys!!! What a delicious event :)

Lissa said...

Mine were gone by monday! Guess I will have to come up with another gift for the teachers!

Cindy said...

I saw reference to your blog on someones else's. After hearing about Donna Black Davis I decided to take a look (Tammy's maiden name is Davis so I thought there must be some sort of distant relative connection). Now that I read this post I can see that the name change is a tremendous improvement. I notice that Kate didn't seem to upset about not being able to go to their house. You are a great writer (and talented in so many ways). I'll add your blog to the list I check. AND, Yes, he is a jerk.

Cindy said...

I left the comment on the wrong post. Sorry. The jerk comment is meant for John. The cookie part was great fun and I really like that picture of Alison. The one of me lets me know how far I have to go to accomplish my goals.